Cheek’d is a dating site hoping to bridge the gap between meeting online and meeting in real life. It’s a novel idea, really, and different from most other online dating sites out there. If you’re the type of person who prefers real-world connections but you lack the courage to strike up conversations with complete strangers, Cheek’d may be worth a try. Here’s why.
What You Need to Know About Cheek’d:
- Cheek’d does everything backwards. Step one on the site isn’t signing up, it’s ordering a physical set of calling cards directly to your home.
- Calling cards come in decks of 50 and they can be personalized or pre-printed with flirty messages. A deck of cards runs about $20-$25 and each card is printed with an individual code that can be used later.
- Once you order your Cheek’d “deck”, you sign up on the site for an account that then links to your mobile app, available on iOS and Android. Your profile doesn’t include much info but allows you to chat with other app-users.
- When you see a stranger (in a bar, on a train, etc.) you simply give them one of your Cheek’d cards, with a smile, of course! They’ll find instructions on the back to go to the Cheek’d.com website and enter in the unique code from the card.
- When thy enter in the code (on the .com site or using the app) they’re then invited to chat with you over the web.
- Cheek’d eliminates the awkwardness of hitting on a stranger but utilizes the technology of online dating, too!
- If you want a simple, fun way to try online dating that doesn’t feel so “cold” and impersonal, Cheek’d may be a good start. If you like to go to clubs, meet singles in real life, and generally don’t mind being social, it can be a great icebreaker!
- It’s important to note that if you don’t want to print and use the physical cards, you can use “digital cards” that simply send messages to other Cheek’d users in the area. Your pool of singles is more limited this way, obviously.
- There aren’t a ton of steps (or features, other than a blog!) on Cheek’d.com. You can sign up with an email address or using your Facebook account, if you prefer.
- Because it’s designed for the tech-savvy, Cheek’d users are generally young and skew towards large urban areas (U.S.)
Ready to get over the hump when it comes to approaching strangers in public? Cheek’d is a new kind of “dating site” that helps you meet new people while avoiding the awkwardness that comes from blind dates. If you’re unsure about the anonymity of online dating but you’re still too shy to ask people out, Cheek’d might be a good solution.