It should go without saying that prison marriages have one of the highest divorce rates in the country (around 85%) but that being said, there are still over 2.5 million people incarcerated in the U.S. alone. Many of these inmates get lonely and there are plenty who simply want someone to talk to and share their hopes, dreams, and fears with. Meet-an-Inmate.com caters to these inmates.
There are plenty of reasons NOT to date an inmate, of course, but not every person in prison is the same.
If you’ve considered striking up a relationship with someone who’s incarcerated, here’s what you should know about Meet-An-Inmate.com.
- Meet an Inmate is a pen pal service, not a dating site. Since inmates typically aren’t allowed to use the internet all communications founded on the site must be via ‘snail mail.’ Think of the site as a place for prisoners to post personal ads.
- There aren’t a lot of search functions on the site and you must look up inmates by age and gender to begin with
- Once you chose an inmate you like, you write a real letter to them using the address they provided
- Meet An Inmate is 100% free for non-incarcerated people to use! Prisoners themselves pay $35 a year to post and maintain a personal ad on the site
- It’s up to the user to find out exactly why the person they’re writing is in prison, based on available public information in specific states
- There are both men and women prisoners on the site. Other info provided about each includes a photo, their release date, and what activities they participate in while in prison
- The prisoners are under no responsibility to write back but the site suggests making the first letter short and including a photo of yourself
- Meet-an-Inmate has a disclaimer on the site excluding the site from all responsibility if a user happens to encounter a dangerous of violent inmate they met on the site
We’re not suggesting you peruse Meet An Inmate simply because you’re lonely, but if you have a soft spot for prisoners and you know the risks and the details of what you’re getting into, it’s the best site of its kind. At the very least, you may make a prisoner’s week by writing them a friendly letter!
DatingSitesXO does not accept responsibility for any costs, liabilities, attorney’s fee or damages that you may incur for using Meet-an-Inmate.com. The appropriate safeguards should be used in communicating with any person(s) that you may meet through this service. Date at your own risk!